One27 Adoption & Foster Care
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27
Our Mission and Vision
Our passion is to increase awareness of God's heart and love for His children through adoption and foster care, and to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ by creating a church culture where adoption and foster care are embraced and supported.
Specifically, we desire to:
Come alongside and support adoptive and foster families each step of the way as they walk this journey on which God has called them.
Encourage more families and/or individuals to adopt and foster children.
Build a culture of adoption and foster care that engages not only adoptive and foster families, but others who wish to partner with us in responding to God's call to care for the fatherless.
We believe the spirit of God is moving in our church to come alongside families that have fostered or adopted. While not everyone might feel called to foster or adopt, there are tons of other ways to make a difference:
- ADOPT. Every child deserves a family. If you’re considering adoption, start with prayer, talk with adoptive families and adoptees, then seek out information from an adoption agency. Find one at cafo.org. Or, if you’re interested in adopting from foster care, visit adoptuskids.org.
- FOSTER. Some 400,000 children are in foster care in the U.S., including nearly 10,000 in the Philadelphia region and more than 500 in Delaware County. Talk with people in your church or community who’ve fostered, then reach out to a local agency that facilitates foster care to learn more.
- BECOME A CASA. Many counties, including Delaware County, link foster youth with a court-appointed special advocate, or CASA. This volunteer serves as an ally for the child as the courts determine what’s best. Could you be that advocate? Learn more at casaforchildren.org.
- EXPLORE SAFE FAMILIES. This all-volunteer alternative to the foster system is a great way to prevent children from entering foster care. Volunteers can provide temporary homes, support host families and help birth families. Find out more at safe-families.org.
- USE YOUR SKILLS. From haircuts to orthodontics to car repair, show love to adoptive and foster families by putting your professional skills to use.
- OFFER SUPPORT. Household chores, yard work, meals, shopping, rides, babysitting – find out what help is needed and offer to do it.
- VOLUNTEER. Become a mentor, volunteer as a tutor, join a program like Big Brothers Big Sisters or Kids Hope USA, teach a teen how to drive, provide an internship opportunity at your business – the possibilities are endless.
- PROVIDE RESPITE CARE. This allows foster parents a much-needed break, and gives a child a safe place to stay during a transition. Requirements vary by state and agency, so contact a local agency to learn more.
- DONATE OR FUNDRAISE. Give personally, or help raise money for trustworthy organizations, both locally and globally, that support adoptive and foster families and family preservation efforts.
- PRAY. Pray for adoptive and foster families. Pray for youth in foster care and orphanages around the world. Pray for healing for healing from loss and trauma. Pray for the reunification and restoration of families.
Heard about a moving video we played on a Sunday? Check out the ReMoved videos online here.